— MASTER Series A9F and Z9F Televisions Feature Next-generation Sony Processor and Exclusive Netflix Calibrated Mode to Bring Sony’s Very Best Picture Quality into Viewer’s Homes by Faithfully Conveying the Creator’s Intent —
NEW YORK— July 31, 2018 — Sony Electronics, Inc. today announced two new television series, both offering extraordinary picture quality by virtue of employing multiple proprietary technologies and solutions, leading with Sony’ next-generation Picture Processor X1™ Ultimate. The new A9F and Z9F models arrive as the MASTER Series – a name Sony has reserved exclusively for its highest picture quality TV models. Sony’s goal is to create a TV capable of displaying images that faithfully convey the creator’s full intent. Sony’s new MASTER Series provides picture quality approaching that of a professional-grade monitor in a movie studio and was developed by following a very strict set of product evaluation criteria set by its most experienced picture quality engineers.
“Sony’s focus has always been on quality, and our new MASTER Series is a game changer,” said Mike Fasulo, president and chief operating officer, Sony Electronics North America. “Netflix is redefining the way in which content is produced, and together we have created an offering that has never been done before. Our new line of TVs featuring Netflix Calibrated Mode truly optimize the entertainment experience and provide new viewing options for our customers.”
Both the A9F and Z9F MASTER Series models come equipped with a newly developed, next-generation Picture Processor X1™ Ultimate. This processor plays a vital role in delivering the high-quality picture in the MASTER Series. With a long history and expertise in developing professional cameras and monitors, Sony recognizes that precision in constructing fine signal processing components results in an immediately visible difference to the whole image. The Picture Processor X1™ Ultimate can intelligently detect and analyze each object in the picture through Sony’s new Object-based Super Resolution for exceptional accuracy and detail. The Object-based HDR remaster has been updated and now allows each object to be remastered individually for better depth, accurate texture and an overall more realistic picture.
Introducing Netflix Calibrated Mode
Over the years, Sony Electronics has worked with television and movie industry professionals to develop new viewing technologies. In 2000, Sony Electronics introduced Cinema Mode, which was developed in conjunction with Sony Pictures Entertainment. In 2012, Sony introduced its first 4K television, working with the industry to bring this new standard from the movie studios to viewers’ homes. For the MASTER Series, Sony has worked with Netflix to develop Netflix Calibrated Mode. The new feature was specially developed to mirror the same picture quality as a studio evaluation master for television in order to preserve the artist’s creative vision and intent. By clicking one simple menu setting, Netflix Calibrated Mode faithfully reproduces the visuals that help bring a story to life, and entertainment enthusiasts can now enjoy this experience when watching their favorite TV series, films, documentaries and more on Netflix.
Additionally, the MASTER Series is ready for CalMAN®, the industry-leading display calibration software from Portrait Displays. CalMAN is widely used by professionals as a tool to ensure quality control of the strict requirements demanded by content creators in broadcast, production and post-production. CalMAN eliminates the struggle of maintaining the picture quality throughout the life of the TV.
Innovation in TV picture, sound and design
The flagship A9F OLED TV comes equipped with the Pixel Contrast Booster, Sony’s original panel controller for OLED, which maximizes the dynamic range by widening the area of color reproduction at high brightness. Pictures are enhanced with extra detail and texture. The A9F OLED TV has top-of-the-line sound quality thanks to its new Acoustic Surface Audio+™ technology. Acoustic Surface™ was first introduced last year with the critically acclaimed A1E series, followed by the A8F this year. The improved Acoustic Surface Audio+™ gets an additional actuator in the center of the screen and an extra subwoofer channel, totaling to a 3.2 channel sound system. The additional center actuator acts just like center speakers hidden behind a acoustically transparent (AT) screen found in movie theaters. With the three actuators and two subwoofers facing sideways, the A9F creates a rich sound field that greatly enhances the viewing experience. The A9F also has a TV Center Speaker Mode that allows the Acoustic Surface Audio+™ to be used as the center speaker of a home theater system.
The Z9F’s new X-Wide Angle ensures the picture retains its quality regardless of the viewing angle. It enables a wider viewing angle that reduces color shifts when viewing the screen off-axis, so colors stay true in various viewer positions. Together with X-Motion Clarity™, which minimizes motion blur without sacrificing screen brightness, it helps the Z9F overcome the usual challenges LCD panels face.
Using the Google Assistant[i] with both the A9F and Z9F is simple. Both models have built-in microphones, enabling viewers to simply talk to the TV to find what they want, or to ask the Google Assistant to play TV shows, movies and more.
MASTER Series A9F (65” and 55” Class models) 4K HDR OLED TV
- Features OLED as display device with Pixel Contrast Booster; eight million self-illuminating pixels and Sony-original panel controller for OLED brings a significantly enriched visual experience with unprecedented black, authentic color and a wide viewing angle
- Features Picture Processor X1™ Ultimate, providing the ultimate 4K HDR viewing experience with the following technologies: Object-based Super Resolution, Object-based HDR remaster, Super Bit Mapping™ 4K HDR and dual database processing
- Acoustic Surface Audio+™ creates a rich sound field delivered from three actuators and two subwoofers facing sideways, which greatly enhance the viewing experience
- Features Netflix Calibrated Mode that brings the creator’s vision directly to the TV.
- CalMAN ready for professional-grade calibration
- Features vibrant, expanded color with TRILUMINOS™ Display, further enhanced for color accuracy
- Android TV with hands-free help from the Google Assistant[ii]: Find what you want simply by talking to the TV; ask your Google Assistant to help you play TV shows, movies, and more; dim the lights and control your compatible, connected devices while you watch a movie for a better viewing experience
- Minimalism styled with softness: the screen being a single slate with only a stand in the back to hold it up
MASTER Series Z9F (75” and 65” models) 4K HDR LED TV
- Features Picture Processor X1™ Ultimate, providing the ultimate 4K HDR viewing experience with the following technologies: Object-based Super Resolution; Object-based HDR remaster; Super Bit Mapping™ 4K HDR and dual database processing.
- Features X-Wide Angle that minimizes color change when seen from the side; view faithful shades and hue from wherever you watch the TV
- Features Full-array LED Backlight for ultra-high contrast
- X-Motion Clarity keeps fast action clear and smooth; moving images are precisely controlled to minimize blur and even during fast-moving scenes, pictures stay true with no loss in brightness
- Features Netflix Calibrated Mode that brings the creator’s vision directly to the TV
- CalMAN ready for professional-grade calibration
- Includes X-tended Dynamic Range™ PRO to produce better contrast by precisely balancing the light output across the screen, dimming some areas and boosting others; it reveals a brightness range three times that of a conventional LED-backlit TV, and it enhances any source to near HDR quality with a wider range of brightness
- Features vibrant, expanded color with TRILUMINOS Display, further enhanced for color accuracy
- Android TV with hands-free help from the Google Assistantii: Find what you want simply by talking to the TV; ask your Google Assistant to help you play TV shows, movies, and more; dim the lights and control your compatible, connected devices while you watch a movie for a better viewing experience
- Clean cable management for tabletop mount
Pricing and Availability
The MASTER Series A9F and Z9F will be available across North America in the fall of 2018, with pricing and retail availability to be announced later.
For more information on the MASTER series, please visit https://www.sony.com/electronics/master-series.
About Sony Electronics
Sony Electronics is a subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America and an affiliate of Sony Corporation (Japan), one of the most comprehensive entertainment companies in the world, with a portfolio that encompasses electronics, music, motion pictures, mobile, gaming and financial services. Headquartered in San Diego, California, Sony Electronics is a leader in electronics for the consumer and professional markets. Operations include research and development, engineering, sales, marketing, distribution and customer service. Sony Electronics creates products that innovate and inspire generations, such as the award-winning Alpha Interchangeable Lens Cameras and revolutionary high-resolution audio products. Sony is also a leading manufacturer of end-to-end solutions from 4K professional broadcast and A/V equipment to industry leading 4K Ultra HD TVs. Visit http://www.sony.com/news for more information.
[i] User must connect to a Google account to use, including voice to activate linked apps. Google Assistant availability depends on region.
[ii] Compatible devices require Internet connection. Voice Search is available using the included remote control, Android TV Remote Control application with Android 4.0 or higher, or using Sony’s TV SideView application available for Android 4.0.3 or higher or iOS 7.0 or higher.